Eden Farm

From Jerripedia
Jump to: navigation, search


Historic Jersey buildings

Eden Farm, St Saviour


This photograph shows the early archway with an unusual inscription

Index of all house profiles

If you own this property, have ancestors who lived here, or can provide any further information and photographs, please contact us through editorial@jerripedia.org


Property name

Eden Farm

Other names

Maison Pelgue


Rue des Pigneaux, St Saviour

Type of property

16th century farmhouse as part of a group of later buildings

Families associated with the property

  • Pelgué: This family gave the property its old name, in 1671 or earlier [1]
  • Starcq: In the 19th century, two men of the name Charles John Starck lived here, father and son. In the third generation, John W. Starck (1887- )- ), a bachelor, lived here until about 1956. The property was inherited by his sister.


  • TMfB EL 1632: This datestone has not been deciphered by any of the island authorities. The lower case 'f' is a mystery. It may imply that TM was the son (fils) of B, but no comparable stone has been recorded

Historic Environment Record entry

Listed building

This farm group clearly shows its development over the centuries. The 16th century farmhouse to the north retains its original character, due to its strong proportions and fine stonework, and is the most important building on the site - with one of the earliest surviving facades in Jersey.

The mid-19th century farmhouse retains its historic character.

Shown on the Richmond Map of 1795.

Old Jersey Houses

Now called Eden Farm, and with a modern house in front of the old one, the earlier name was taken from Jurat Pelgue, son of George, who lived there, and was a Jurat from 1842 until 1856, the date of his death. The later house was built by a member of the Starck family.

This is one of the most intact facades surviving in the island, although now only used as a storehouse. It has five perfectly matching six-piece windows.

The author speculates that the lion and chequers symbols on the datestone might be family badges, and also suggests that the engraving may have been added to an existing arch.

Notes and references

  1. This is the date given by Joan Stevens for the family's association with the property in an article she wrote in 1966, but it contrasts with the date she gives in Old Jersey Houses (see below)
Personal tools
other Channel Islands
contact and contributions

Please support Jerripedia with a donation to our hosting costs